Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A simple matter of taste

Every once in a while, I think I'll talk about things that I actually like.  No snark [rather, a subdued amount thereof], just talk about positive-ness.

Today's topic of discourse: food.

I will tell you truthfully, I consider myself a foodie.  No, I'm not uber-hardcore like some people, perhaps a novice foodie if you will.  I love all things food--eating food, cooking food, reading cookbooks, watching cooking shows, exploring great restaurants.  When Denise and I travel, we don't necessarily travel "for food" but we do.  Our rule is once we go out of town, we can't eat at any chain restaurant--and it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made.

Anyhoo...I have several random food thoughts that I'll bring to the discussion today.  Not necessarily in any order.

1--Julia Child.  I LOVE Julia Child.  You too love Julia Child, you just don't know you do.  Ever watch anything on food network?  You can thank Mrs. Child.  Ever eaten at a nice restaurant in America?  Thank Julia Child.  Ever tried a shallot?  Ever eaten Bouef Bourginon?  Julia.
Some of my earliest memories that I have are coming home from pre-school to watch "The French Chef" re-runs on WTTW.  She single handedly brought the American palate out of the stone ages that was the post-war era.  She introduced used troglodyte Americans to simple, yet elevated, French food and French techniques.  She took the mystery out of food, and told us all that we didn't have to rely on Swanson TV dinners.
Thanks a bunch Julia.

2--Been watching the Cooking channel.  It is infinitely better than the pedestrian Food Network.  Yes, they are owned and operated by the same company and feature a lot of the same faces, but the Cooking Channel is so much better.  First off, they run the old Julia Child re-runs--bonus points for sure.  Secondly, Japanese Iron Chef--major bonus points.  Third, while it seems like exile, its where Mario Batali and Emeril landed now [major respect for both of those guys].

3--What are the best restaurant meals that I have ever had?  Lets see...
Bouchon, Las Vegas:  French Onion soup, roasted chicken with ratatouille.  Bouchon is Thomas Keller's "bistro" brand.  Holy balls was the food good.  Simple.  Elegantly presented.  Delicious.  Also noteworthy--when you sit at the table, the following things greet you: homemade bread, fabulous butter, and warmed pistachio nuts.  Holy crap--warmed pistachios--who the hell knew that was so damn good.

B&B, Las Vegas:  Beef cheek ravioli. Heirloom tomato salad.  The beef cheek ravioli is one of Mario Batali's "Signature" dishes.  OMG.  Any other are superfluous.

Emerils, New Orleans:  BBQ shrimp, smoked duck with fregola, blueberry bread pudding.  I'm a sucker for duck.  I'm an even bigger sucker for awesome duck.  I'm a total freak for bread pudding--this was the best bread pudding I have ever had--ever.

Coops Place, New Orleans:  Jambalaya with rabbit, tasso ham, andouille, crawish, and I'm sure even more furry critters.  Wow.  Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Kuma's Corner, Chicago: Lair of the Minoutar burger.  Oh, God--what can I say about this burger...so damn good.  To whomever thought about putting bourbon soaked pears on a burger?  Thank you.

Burger Barge, East Peoria:  Tavern burger, or is it the Captains burger?  Either way, delish!

Yen Ching, Macomb [the old Yen Ching]:  everything I've ever had there.  Best Chinese dive ever.

4--I love Tony Bourdain.  He's my main man-crush [I'm sure that Denise won't mind--she likes him too].  If you have never read any of his books, please do.  Start with "Kitchen Confidential."  I read that book at least once a year.  I love his writing style--no bull shit.  I think his story is fascinating, and his opinions are usually spot-on.

5--Best food city I've been to?  New Orleans.  No question.  Emerils.  Coops Place.  Cafe Reconcile.  Nola.  Cochon.  Mothers.  Cafe Du Monde....and those are just the places that Denise and I have been to.  There's still Commander's Palace, Antoines, August, K-Pauls...

6--Favorite type of food?  Asian...dur.  I am a total Chinese food whore.  Yes, I know what I like as "Chinese" food is about as Chinese as Apple Pie, but damn if I don't love it.  Orange Chicken?  YES!  General whomever's chicken?  YES!  [seriously, no matter which Generals chicken it is, it's good!], chicken lo mein?  YUM.  I also love vietnamese food too--Pho?  Best soup ever [and I love soup too].  I just need to learn how to cook more of it.

7--Two restaurants I must eat at, but haven't figured out how to get in or pay for yet:  French Laundry and El Bulli.

8--Foods I don't like based on.....Texture:  Seafood.  Watermelon [or any melon for that matter].  Flavor:  Bell peppers.  Raw tomatoes.  Life experience:  Raw Cherries.  Potato soup.  Big Mac.  Just because I don't like: pizza.

9--Foods that I didn't like as a kid, but now love:  parmesan cheese, prosciutto, brussels sprouts, I'm sure there are more, it's all I can think of....

10--Guinness.  Enough said.

11--If you had to ask what my favorite food is, I don't know if I could answer you.  There's just too much that I could choose from.  Sorry.

That's all I have tonight.  I'm sure that there's more that I want to say about food, and food things, but I'm going to stop for now.  

What's your favorite food?   What's your favorite restaurant meal?  What food can't you stand because you've puked it up as a kid?  Let me know!

The snark returns tomorrow, rest assured.

1 comment: