Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Really???

The snow, the snow, the snow....it's like and Edgar Allen Poe poem today--dreary, windy...

Anyhoo, by popular decree--at least by one person--I shall expound upon the day's events with the following anecdote:

Went to work today.  Yes, my place of employment [for those who know...] was open today-at least part of the day.  Not only was the business open, it was busy today.  Got the word that we were able to close around 3pm.  A sound decision.  It just wasn't safe to be out or about today.

We [my assistant manager and I] were in the process of closing, gates down, registers closed.  In the middle of all this, a person rolls up in a "redneck special" [aka a big-ass pick-up truck].  He pulls on the now locked door [which he is of course not able to open].  He looks at the assistant manager and I, confused.  "Why can't I open the door?" I'm sure he asked himself.  We briefly make eye contact.  I mouth the words "we're closed" to him.  He pulls on the door again, still confused.   I open the door, tell the customer that we are closed--there is a note on the door to also help make the point.

Instead of figuring it all out, the only thing that comes out of his mouth is "Do you have any X-Boxes?"  I don't know if I can adequately describe what I'm sure was the look on my face--for those who know me well, I know you can picture it.

Really folks?

Really?

Blizzard outside, horrible road conditions, ridiculous accumulations everywhere...."do you have any x-boxes?"

If I could murder someone with my thoughts, there would have been a small dark patch of dust on the snow in front of my place of employment.


Why did people think that today was the day they needed to come buy items from my store?  Really folks?  People in their cars sliding about, stuck in my parking lot--with their kids in tow of course.  

Really?

Priorities people....


That's how my day went.

Until tomorrow--
E

2 comments:

  1. I went to Walgreens today to get bread when the snow started. It was packed, but almost no one was buying food. Beer, candy, magazines, toys...people don't care if they die, as long as they're being entertained and/ or drunk in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a steady stream of moms with their kids in tow until about noon. By then, we had as many transactions as we had the entire day before. I kept raising my hands and yelling "The world is ending - go buy a game!"

    The snow was coming down hard by noon. There were six people still in the store when Mike came in. I repeated the above exclamation for his benefit. He looks around and starts picking up stuff that had been tossed randomly about the store and says, "Looks like the day after Thanksgiving in here".

    At 12:15 a guy from the mall comes in with a memo saying the mall is closing at 3:00. By 12:30 we are finally empty and Mike tells me to just go home. I tell him thanks and note that he will probably not see another customer since there was a white out going on by then.

    As I'm going out the door into the blizzard, sure enough a man with his six year old son comes in.

    REALLY?!

    ReplyDelete