Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Puppy Dogs, rainbows, and a trident to the heart

Another day, another post.

I'm in a good mood today.  I know there is some concern that this emotional state will somehow cloud my judgment or normal curmudgeonly self or quell my misanthropic nature.

You may rest at ease, dear reader that this shall not be the case at all.

So, to quell your misgivings, here is the first "Puppy Dogs and Tridents" post.  The Puppy Dogs will be the good, obviously.  The Tridents shall be issued forth to those who have wronged me, slighted me, maligned me, or in any other way pissed me the hell off.

Here we go....
[I'm so excited!]

Puppy Dog:  The revelation of student teaching.

My recent good mood has been caused by a couple of factors, most of them relating to my student teaching.  I had an unofficial visit today from one of my three supervisors from WIU.  Normally a visit like this would be enough to cause fear and heart palpitations in the best of men--for me though, I looked at it as a good opportunity to get some feedback [I can deal with the stressful visits--I work retail].

The gentleman who visited me asked a simple question, and he got a complex answer.

"Have you made a difference in the life of any of your students?" he asked.

My answer was something akin to the following:  I don't know if I have.  However, my real answer would be that the students have made an incredible difference in my life.  It's not everyday that you get to do what you were supposed to do with you life.  I know that this is what I am meant to do--everyday I wake up excited to come to school and work with the students that I get to.

The look on the supervisors face was surprise I think.  He remarked that he had asked this questions to all of his student teachers, and none had given him that answer--he was quite pleased.

The truth of the matter is that I'm really excited about student teaching.  I am super excited about working with the kids, and eventually getting a music teaching job--anywhere.

Tridents a plenty!!

To the jackass car dealership that decided to not give Denise a good trade-in on her car...a trident to the heart.
To the toothless meth addicts that made my life a living hell on Saturday...multiple tridents to their collective hearts.
To the asshole who stopped short yesterday and made me almost rear-end them...a trident to their heart.
To mother nature, who decided that she should dump all this snow, then melt it, then freeze it to make my parking spot even harder to get out of...a trident to the heart.
To Republicans, because they are Republican...a trident to all their hearts.

I can feel my good humor slipping away as I write my wishes of bloody tridented death...the misanthropy seething in me....goooooood......goooooooood......[that last bit was supposed to be my impression of Emperor Palpatine, if you didn't get that]

Until later.

E

2 comments:

  1. I got really excited for a minute because I thought you were giving everyone gum. It's cool. I like puppies, too.

    Also, congratulations on loving what you're doing - that's a rare thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the trident! My impaling weapon of choice...

    I came up with the whole trident to the heart thing a few years ago at work, disgruntled at life, etc. I was talking to my employees and said something akin to: "The next person who walks in the door and says something stupid is going to get a trident to the heart--just as a warning"

    And so it was born.

    Sorry that it wasn't gum.

    As for loving what I'm doing--it is awesome. I've been stuck in my current vocation for years now, and I came to a realization that I needed to be doing what I wanted to do since I was 10. It is awesome--I never thought I would ever say that I love being around all these kids all day, but I do.

    ReplyDelete