Friday, February 25, 2011

My favorite movies. I hope you like.

Its academy award weekend--which got me thinking movies—which I love.

Today's topic:  what are my favorite movies?  I'm going to start with all-time, then, if the muse carries me, I may branch off.

#1: Lawrence of Arabia.  

If you have never seen this movie, for shame.  It is an incredible monument of cinema.  The cinematography alone should put this movie in most peoples tops--throw in the soundtrack, and the performance of Peter O'Toole, and you have one of the best movies ever, and easily my favorite movie of all time.  

#2: A Clockwork Orange.

Kubrick.  Kubrick is the man.  Clockwork Orange is visually arresting, hypnotic, confusing, beautiful, troubling.  It is awesome.  I know that many people don't like this movie, and that's ok.  This is my list of top movies, not yours.  Plus, let us not forget the music!  Walter [now Wendy] Carlos electronic realizations of Beethoven and Rossini make this movie great.

#3: M.A.S.H. 

The movie, not the crappy watered-down version they turned into a T.V. show--I hate the T.V. show.  Best war movie ever.  Period.  It is black comedy in its finest.  Donald Sutherland and Elliot Gould are awesome as the original Hawkeye and Trapper John.  Plus, I really dig the early style of Robert Altman.

#4:  The Big Lebowski.

There are those that look at this movie and say "What the fuck?"  I look at it and laugh my ass off.  I have always likened The Dude to sort of a Buddha figure--serene, calm, centered.  Jeff Bridges, it should be noted is my absolute favorite actor of all time [As an aside, if you want a truly great Bridges role watch "The Contender" where he plays the president--priceless].  There was a period of about three or four months where I watched this movie at least three times a week.  Love it.

#5:  The Empire Strikes Back.

If you need an explanation, stop reading this.

#6:  Inception.

This is quite possibly one of the most original movies that I have ever seen.  Wow.  Such a unique, haunting movie. 

#7: Fog of War.

Robert Macnamara is probably one of my favorite historical figures.  For those who don't know he was the Secretary of Defense under JFK and LBJ.  He was Secretary of Defense for the Cuban missile crisis and the bulk of the Vietnam War.  Fog of War is a documentary about him and his work.  It is a fascinating portrait.
Plus, let's not forget that Philip Glass does the music.

#8: All the Presidents Men.

Best Redford movie.  In concert with Fog of War, All the President's Men is really fun look at my favorite period in world history [which is 1960-1974--JFK through Nixon].  It's one of those movies that you know what the end is, but it is still suspenseful [see also Apollo 13 or Thirteen Days].

#9:  The Great Escape.

Best ensemble cast ever.  Steve McQueen, James Garner, Donald Pleasance,  Richard Attenborough,  James Coburn, Charles Bronson...and those are just the big names.  Love this movie.  Honestly, I don’t really like war movies.  Funny that three movies in my top ten, then, are war movies.

#10: Blade Runner.

One of the most visually striking movies ever made.  Probably Ridley Scott's best movies [even though he won for Gladiator...]... The music, the look, the feel, the script, great movie.  One of the best intellectually challenging movies ever made [and yes, there is an answer to the question....].

#11:  [it's tie...] Pi / Black Swan.  
 

I have loved Darren Aronofsky for a long time.  I found Pi back when I worked at Blockbuster.  Fell in love. Awesome movie.  Black Swan is just as good.  Both movies explore paranoia like no others I have ever seen. 

Other movies I adore that just didn't quite make it--in no particular order...could be like my top 25 list?
Sunshine [please see this movie.  Great modern Sci-fi, directed by Danny Boyle]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [Best Romance movie ever made in my opinion]
There Will be Blood
Star Trek [the 2009 version]
Star Trek: The Motion Picutre
Star Trek IV
2001 [Funny fact: I own this movie on blu-ray.  Yes, its over 40 years old, holy shit this movie looks beautiful on blu-ray]
Dark City [another under-rated modern sci-fi movie]
The entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Bridge on the River Kwai
Back to the Future
Gladiator
Master and Commander [Yes, I also have a Russell Crowe thing...]
The Contender
Thirteen Days
Kick Ass
Fast Times at Ridgemont High [this is my favorite 80’s “coming of age” movie.  Plus, Phoebe Cates…ahhhh]

You will undoubtedly disagree with all my choices, and well, that’s ok.  They’re my choices.

Have fun.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment