Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Its been a long time...

Hello there, loyal reader. I apologize for the delay. I hope that you will agree that it was worth it.

However...

I know the blog stresses my penchant for observations of the snarky, dare I say curmungeonly nature.  But, today's post is more of a memoir of sorts.  Some snark, lots of truth.

When I was in 4th grade I decided I wanted to play the trombone. I wasn't very good, my braces got in the way, and I hated practicing.  But I stuck with it.  At the same time, I was taking piano lessons.  You can guess--I wasn't very good, my giant sausage hands got in the way, and I hated practicing.  But I stuck with it.

I had to make a decision in the 5th grade: piano or trombone.  Trombone won out.

Played in junior high.  Played in high school.  Switched to tuba.  Love the tuba.  Tuba is fun.

Found out I really liked music--particularly, I loved watching the conductor in the band.  I decided that I too wanted to be a band director when I grew up.

Went to college as a music education major.  The thing about that decision is on day one of registration, you get handed a sheet of paper that has every class that you have to take in the next 4 1/2 years.  If you want to add anything that you may actually LIKE you have to do it in the summer, add a semester, or take 20+ semester hours at a time.  I chose the latter.

I liked theory, I liked composition.  So, I knuckled down, took a lot of classes [did you know I graduated WIU with over 200 credit hours as an undergrad? Usually takes 120 to graduate].  Got to the point where I was to do my pre-student teaching student teaching [sound confusing? it is.]  At the time, I did not have a car.  The ladies in the education department wanted me to go 45 miles for the pre-student teaching student teaching.  Told them about the car situation.  Their response: "guess you can't be an education major any more."  Way to go Western. Remember all those other classes I took? Thank heavens.  I was able to graduate one semester late with a degree in theory.

Went immediately to grad school.  Got a degree in conducting.  Always wanted to finish that teaching degree...

Ah well.  Graduated.  Masters.  Done.

Got a job.  In retail.  You know, that's what people who have two degrees in music do.

Fast forward 7 years to fall of 2009.  Get the wild hair up my ass to go back to school and actually finish the coursework to become a teacher.  Finally have a car.  Finally get the pre-student teaching student teaching done.

Get to student teach.  Yes!  Actually student teach.  Love it.

Where's all this going, Erich?

It's going to Elmwood, Illinois.

Because that's where I just got hired as the new band director.

Only took 25 years.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment